Neoliberalism is dying, but its replacement is not yet born. The direction of politics over the coming years is not certain, and the left will have to win not only the political fight, but also the battle of ideas.
In this special Verso Report, developed in conjunction with Autonomy, some of the most important left-wing economists and policy makers at work today outline the new economic ideas that will shape the direction of the left in the years to come. From Labour’s “ownership agenda”, moving beyond neoliberalism’s fixation on private ownership towards collective ownership of society’s productive assets, and the position of unions in society, to plans to reduce the time we all spend at work, and new ecological imperatives for the entire economy, The New Economy Starter Pack is a vital resource for those who want a wide-ranging introduction to the new and transformative economic agenda of the left.
Contributors include: James Meadway, Kyle Lewis, Alice Martin, Mathew Lawrence, Cat Hobbs, Will Stronge, Dave Ward, Luke Hildyard, Howard Reed, Laurie Laybourn-Langton, Julian Siravo, and Grace Blakeley.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
1. The Old is Dying | James Meadway
2. A Shorter Working Week | Kyle Lewis
3. The Future of Unions: Rebuilding Collective Power | Alice Martin
4. Inclusive Ownership Funds | Mat Lawrence
5. Owning the Economy | Cat Hobbs
6. Claim Your Commute | Will Stronge
7. A Future for Workers: A Word from the CWU | Dave Ward
8. Maximum Pay Ratios | Luke Hildyard
9. An Income Floor for All | Howard Reed
10. A Sustainable Economy Act | Laurie Langton
11. Towards an Ageing Utopia | Julian Siravo
12. A People’s Asset Manager | Grace Blakeley