Production editor vacancies, full- and part-time
Production editors oversee the prepress editorial work on Verso titles. Project management is central to the responsibilities of the role. The position requires keeping a close eye on schedules and overseeing the work of freelancers, as well as liaising with authors and editors. A love of the written word is a must, and in this context that finds expression in a disinterested enthusiasm for good English. A production editor should take pleasure in recasting a sentence, in helping typesetters craft a beautifully formatted book, and in assisting authors to fine-tune their writing.
Verso is currently publishing around eighty new titles a year, not including new editions; that number is likely to grow. The production of each book involves multiple stages and multiple hands; production editors must be comfortable juggling tasks and keeping to an array of deadlines.
• Superlative copy-editing and proofreading skills. Everyone thinks they have a way with words and can recognize good writing, but you need more than intimations guiding you. You must be capable of explaining to authors clearly, concisely, and persuasively why they should change the text that is so dear to them. Applicants should be familiar with book editing conventions and understand how they contrast with those in other media. They should be comfortable discussing the shibboleths of copy-editing and proofreading and capable of separating sensible conventions from pedantry.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Strong written communication skills.
• Familiarity with Word is a must. Some facility with InDesign highly desirable.
• Confidence when fact-checking and familiarity with reference works.
• Understanding of and sympathy with Verso’s intellectual project, including competence with its specialist lexicon.
• It is essential that you have copy-edited and proofread professionally for a book publisher.
• At least a year’s experience at a book publisher in a full-time role. Verso embraces diversity and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds. Candidates with diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. This position is currently remote due to COVID-19, but the successful candidate will need to be able to work from our Brooklyn office on a regular basis once it has reopened.
For the full-time position, the salary range is $40k–58k depending on experience. The part-time position’s salary will be pro-rated. Benefits include fully funded health, vision and dental insurance, a 401k with an employer match, and 25 days of vacation (pro-rated for part-timers).
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Production Editor Application" by June 4.